The Guenther Family

The Guenther Family
The Guenther Family

Sunday, December 19, 2010

In Haiti Once Again

In order to make our 6:00 am flight, we were up and heading to the Houston airport around 3:00 am. After spending all of yesterday traveling, we arrived in Port Au Prince, Haiti around 5:30. The flight was supposed to land at 4:50, but after multiple delays we landed late. To make matters worse, once we arrived, the airplane could not be opened, and the jetway cold not make it to the airplane. We were forced to wait some more, then exit out the rear of the plane, down some rickety stairs and onto the bus. Caleb was a trooper the entire way, mostly nervous and excited. In Haiti, there are no television terminals to alert those who are waiting that the flights are delayed. Poor Pierre had to stand outside all that extra time, wondering where we were.

We were taken straight to the orphanage where a dinner of spaghetti and hot sauce was waiting. Wilson, the boy whom we are seeking to adopt, was made ready to meet and greet us upon our arrival. He was dressed in a very nice polo, cargo shorts, and had obviously just taken a bath. He joined us for dinner, some family time, and prayer and worship before we retired to the tent for a short sleep. It was around 10:30 before we went down and we were up at 5:30 this morning.

We had to leave by 6:00 in order to get the church for the 6:30 service. Yes, I said 6:30. This service lasts until 11:30. When I arrived yesterday, I was told that I would preach at the evening service. I thought that I would have time to prepare and finish up my notes between the morning and evening services. However, halfway through the service this morning, I was asked, "Do you think you could preach a message this morning?" Going strictly from my heart, I got up to preach. No notes, no preparation, just preaching. This was the first time that I have ever preached with an interpreter, and it's something that I need to get more comfortable with. The people were gracious, and then we headed out for door to door evangelism. Our team prayed with 4 people to receive Christ, and the other teams prayed with about 5 people. This was an interesting and exciting experience. Because of traffic, it took us about an hour to get back to the orphanage, but we finally made it in time to enjoy fried chicken with rice and bean sauce. Now it's time to rest and prepare for the evening service. Pray for Christy as she prepares to speak to the women of the church on Tuesday...stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and understand well all that you are experiencing! We arrived on a Sat. night and Eric had to preach impromptu through a translator for the Sunday morning service as well! Thank you for posting so we know how to pray!
    What is the name of the church Pierre Pastor's? Several asked me if he Pastored a church while I was there last week, but I coudn't remember. I would like to give my missionary friends your contact #. Should I give them Pierre's or do you have a personal number while you are there?

    Also can you ask Pierre about our mission trip group ministering to the tent city orphanage (if he can guide us there) in March? We are coming the 12th-17th.

    ReplyDelete